Luminar Provides Q2 Update; Raises Guidance
Increasing Growth Rate for Major Commercial Program Wins and Order Book; Raising Revenue Guidance
Orlando, Fla. — August 8, 2022 — Luminar (NASDAQ: LAZR), a leading global automotive technology company, announced its quarterly business update and financial results for the second quarter of 2022, ended June 30, 2022. The company reported $9.9 million of Q2 revenue, ahead of company expectations and up 57% YoY.
“The most advanced automakers’ demand for Luminar is further increasing as we continue to successfully execute on their programs and build further conviction,” said Austin Russell, Founder and CEO. “As we prepare for the upcoming series production launch of Iris at the existing production facilities with our partners, we are also now planning the build-out of a larger, fully dedicated and automated facility. This will support the accelerated business, which is driving our increased guidance.”
Today, Luminar released its quarterly Path to Series Production video update, which can be viewed at: www.luminartech.com/path. The video spotlights the company’s continued progress on industrialization for automotive series production. This update highlights increasing factory automation and capacity for a new facility to support higher expected volumes in the years ahead.
Luminar’s Major 2022 Milestones – Q2 Highlights:
Luminar is on track to meet or beat all four of its key 2022 business milestones.
- Iris Industrialization for Series Production: Luminar remains on track to meet its target of achieving series production readiness for Iris lidar and core software by the end of 2022. In the second quarter, Luminar began preparing for a new higher-volume, fully dedicated manufacturing facility with Celestica, which will feature increased levels of automation and drive scalable capacity to serve increasing demand.
- Software: Luminar remains on track to a beta release of Sentinel by the end of 2022. In Q2, Luminar conducted live demo drives at TechCrunch Mobility, demonstrating the higher-confidence detection and collision-avoidance capability of lidar-based Proactive Safety™ compared to today’s camera and radar-based ADAS systems.
- Commercial Programs: Luminar is raising full-year guidance for growth of major commercial program wins from 40% to 60% YoY growth. In Q2, Luminar successfully completed the first phase of another major OEM program. Luminar also announced a collaboration with ECARX1, a global mobility tech company and key strategic partner to various Geely ecosystem brands, to advance the adoption of lidar-based vehicle safety and autonomy in China and beyond.
- Forward-Looking Order Book: Luminar is raising full-year guidance for growth of its forward-looking order book from 40% YoY to 60% YoY growth.
Key Q2 2022 Financials:
Luminar exceeded its financial expectations and maintains a strong balance sheet for accelerating business growth and reaching positive cash flow.
- Revenue: Q2 revenue of $9.9 million, ahead of company expectations and up 57% YoY, and 45% compared to the prior quarter.
- GAAP and Non-GAAP net loss: Q2 GAAP net loss was $95.2 million, or $(0.27) per share; Q2 Non-GAAP net loss was $65.0 million, or $(0.18) per share.
- Cash, Cash Equivalents and Marketable Securities were $605.3 million as of June 30, 2022. Q2 cash spend (operating cash flow less capital expenditures) was $56.5 million. During the quarter, the company repurchased $37.0 million of its shares. Maintaining prior cash spend guidance of 2022 cash spend moderately higher than 2021 ($155 million).
- Full-Year 2022 Financial Outlook: Raising full-year 2022 revenue outlook to $40 million to $45 million, up from $40 million.
Founder and CEO Austin Russell and CFO Tom Fennimore will host a video webcast, featuring a business update followed by a live Q&A session.
- What: video webcast featuring quarterly business and financial update and live Q&A
- Date: today, August 8, 2022
- Time: 2:00 p.m. PDT (5:00 p.m. EDT)
A live webcast of the event will be available on Luminar’s investor site at https://luminartech.com/quarterlyreview. A replay of the webcast will be available following the presentation. For additional information or to be added to our investor distribution list, please visit us at https://investors.luminartech.com/ir-resources/email-alerts.
Non-GAAP Financial Measures
In addition to disclosing financial measures prepared in accordance with U.S. generally accepted accounting principles (GAAP), this press release contains certain non-GAAP financial measures. Non-GAAP financial measures do not have any standardized meaning and are therefore unlikely to be comparable to similarly titled measures presented by other companies. Luminar considers these non-GAAP financial measures to be important because they provide useful measures of the operating performance of the Company, exclusive of factors that do not directly affect what we consider to be our core operating performance, as well as unusual events. The Company’s management uses these measures to (i) illustrate underlying trends in the Company’s business that could otherwise be masked by the effect of income or expenses that are excluded from non-GAAP measures, and (ii) establish budgets and operational goals for managing the Company’s business and evaluating its performance. In addition, investors often use similar measures to evaluate the operating performance of a company. Non-GAAP financial measures are presented only as supplemental information for purposes of understanding the Company’s operating results. The non-GAAP financial measures should not be considered a substitute for financial information presented in accordance with GAAP.
This release includes non-GAAP financial measures, including non-GAAP net loss, Order Book, and Cash Spend. Non-GAAP net loss is defined as GAAP net loss plus stock-based compensation expense, plus amortization of intangible assets, plus legal reserve related to employee matters, plus transaction costs relating to acquisition activities, plus expenses related to registration statement on Form S-1 on behalf of selling stockholders, plus change in fair value of warrant liabilities, plus benefit from income taxes.
Order Book is defined as the forward-looking cumulative sales estimates of Luminar’s hardware and software products over the lifetime of given programs which Luminar’s technology is integrated into or provided for, based primarily on projected/actual contractual pricing terms and good faith estimates of “take rates” of Luminar’s technology on vehicles. Such anticipated programs and volumes/take rates are based on commitments by our partners that are dependent on successful performance through development and validation and entering definitive purchase orders for series production, which may change for a variety of reasons as disclosed herein and other SEC filings, including, without limitation, the risks set forth in the “Forward-Looking Statements” section below. Customer production vehicle volume estimates (and take rates when applicable) are largely sourced from (i) the OEM/customer, (ii) IHS Markit or other third party estimates, and/or (iii) Luminar’s management good faith estimates.
Luminar defines a “major win” as a written agreement with a major industry player, including based on their past experience in high volume production, leadership in autonomy, or market leadership, that selects our technology for what is expected to be a significant commercial program, including OEM series production programs. We only include major commercial wins, disclosed or undisclosed, in our forward-looking order book calculation, which are subject to the risks set forth in the “Forward-Looking Statements” section below.
Certain statements included in this press release that are not historical facts are forward-looking statements for purposes of the safe harbor provisions under the Private Securities Litigation Reform Act of 1995. Forward-looking statements generally are accompanied by words such as “aims,” “believe,” “may,” “will,” “estimate,” “set,” “continue,” “towards,” “anticipate,” “intend,” “expect,” “should,” “would,” “forward,” and similar expressions that predict or indicate future events or trends or that are not statements of historical matters. These forward-looking statements include, but are not limited to, statements regarding the expected achievement and timing of series production readiness for Iris lidar and core software, the expected timing and impact of the new, high-volume manufacturing facility, the expected timing of a Sentinel beta, the expected growth in 2022 of Luminar’s forward-looking order book and major commercial wins, and expectations for 2022 revenue growth and cash expenditure. These statements are based on various assumptions, whether or not identified in this press release, and on the current expectations of Luminar’s management and are not guarantees of actual performance. Forward-looking statements are subject to a number of risks and uncertainties that could cause actual results to differ materially from the forward-looking statements, including the risks discussed in the “Risk Factors” and “Management’s Discussion and Analysis of Financial Condition and Results of Operations” sections of Luminar’s most recently filed periodic reports on Form 10-K and Form 10-Q, and other documents Luminar files with the SEC in the future. You are cautioned not to place undue reliance upon any forward-looking statements, which speak only as of the date made, and Luminar undertakes no obligation to update any forward-looking statement to reflect events or circumstances after the date of this press release.
Luminar is a global automotive technology company ushering in a new era of vehicle safety and autonomy. For the past decade, Luminar has built an advanced hardware and software platform to enable its more than 50 industry partners, including the majority of global automotive OEMs. From Volvo Cars and Mercedes-Benz for consumer vehicles and Daimler Trucks for commercial trucks, to tech partners NVIDIA and Intel’s Mobileye, Luminar is poised to be the first automotive technology company to enable next-generation safety and autonomous capabilities for production vehicles. For more information please visit www.luminartech.com.
1 See press release: https://www.luminartech.com/updates/ecarx/